At 2:26 p.m. Thursday afternoon Douglas County Fire District No.2 was dispatched to a reported structure fire at 632 Schudeiske Road. Dispatch received multiple calls reporting that flames and heavy black smoke were being seen from the area and from travelers on the freeway.
The first DCFD2 fire crew arrived at 2:42 p.m. from the Winchester Fire Station to find a two car garage that was fully involved. The fire had already vented itself through the garage roof and was penetrating the eves on the second story of the home. The home owner advised the crews that all occupants and their pets were out of the structure.
The driveway and winter conditions created a challenge for the incoming fire suppression equipment to navigate. Multiple units were required to stage at the bottom of the single lane driveway to keep the fire scene from becoming too congested.
While the first crew worked to extinguish the fire in the garage area, a second crew made their way into the home to extinguish the fire that had spread into the second story living space and attic area. Firefighters used positive pressure fans to remove all of the excess smoke that had built up in the home and stayed on the scene for several hours checking for hot spots.
The home owner stated the fire originated in the garage around the area of the furnace, but the fire is presently still under investigation.
DCFD2 responded to this incident with 3 fire engines, 2 water tenders, and 2 command units. They were assisted by Calapooia Rural Fire District, Oakland Rural Fire District, Sutherlin Fire Department, Bay Cities Ambulance, Pacific Power and Light, and Avista Natural Gas.