At 1:00 p.m. Thursday afternoon Douglas County Fire District No.2 was dispatched to a reported structure fire at 2307 Hubbard Creek Road in Umpqua. The first DCFD2 fire crew arrived at the scene to find the back and the interior of the structure fully involved with fire.
Fire crews were met in the driveway by the owner and advised that the structure had no occupants. As additional personnel arrived they surrounded the structure with hose lines to keep the fire from spreading to any other structures.
The fire was reported by the neighbor that had been driving north on Melqua Road and noticed a large column of black smoke. She called 911 to report the fire and also notified the property owner.
The structure was primarily used for canning, sewing, storage and food drying. The owner was also raising chicks on the back porch of the structure and a heat lamp was being used to keep the chicks warm.
Fire Investigators believe the fire started from the heat lamp being too close to combustible materials.
DCFD2 would like to remind everyone to check your smoke alarms and keep all heat sources at least three feet away from any combustible items such as paper, furniture, bedding, or curtains.
DCFD2 responded to this incident with 3 fire engines, 2 water tenders, and 1 command unit. They were assisted by Calapooia Rural Fire District and Douglas Electric