At 05:11 p.m. on Monday, October 7th, Douglas County Fire District No.2 firefighters were dispatched to a reported mobile home fire at the Pine Wood Mobile Home Park located at 5000 NE Stephens Street in Winchester. On arrival at the scene firefighters reported heavy smoke and flames coming from the back area of the mobile home at space #40. Firefighters confirmed that all occupants had exited the house and were able to extinguish the fire that was also threatening two adjacent mobile homes within 16 minutes of their arrival at the scene. However, they remained at the scene for approximately 2 hours clearing smoldering debris.
The fire was discovered by the home owner Lucinda Atterbury in a bedroom on the back side of the mobile home. After alerting her husband and sons, they all exited the home safely, and reported the fire to 911. Ms. Atterbury confirmed that she first saw the fire on the bed of her three year old son.
Fire investigators determined that the fire started when Ms. Atterbury’s 3 year old son ignited a toy while playing with a butane torch type lighter in his bedroom. Fire and smoke damage were extensive throughout the entire mobile home. No injuries were reported.
Initial losses are estimated at $9,000.
DCFD2 responded to this incident with 3 fire engines, 1 ambulance, 2 command units, and 17 firefighters. They were assisted by Douglas County Sheriff’s Deputies, Roseburg Police, Pacific Power and Light, and Avista Utilities.
“It is extremely important to keep matches and lighters out of sight and out of the reach of children at all times in order to avoid unfortunate fires like this one, and prevent serious burn injuries said Fire Marshal Josep Pedrola.”