DOUGLAS COUNTY FIRE DISTRICT #2
1400 BUCKHORN RD.
ROSEBURG, OREGON 97470
Closing Date Extended
June 2, 2017
Classification: Entry Level Firefighter/Paramedic, Lateral Entry Firefighter/Paramedic
The Civil Service Commission of Douglas County Fire District No. 2, in Roseburg, Oregon announces testing to establish an eligibility list for future openings. The list will be made up of those individuals passing all phases of the testing process. Positions are regular, full-time and are represented by the Douglas County Professional Firefighters Association. All testing must be completed by June 2, 2017.
Entry Level- $5055.41/month (includes EMT-P incentive)
Lateral Entry- $6068.96/month (includes EMT-P incentive)
Oregon PERS Retirement (District picks up employee 6%)
District pays 90% Medical/Vision/Dental for employees and dependents
HRA VEBA annual contributions ranging from $1796 to $4976
District pays 1% to a Post-Employment Health Plan for employee
16 hours month vacation/holiday leave accrual (increases according to contract)
24 hours month sick leave accrual
Long term disability plan
$50,000 Life Insurance
Flexible Spending Account for medical available
Deferred Compensation Plan available
Shift Firefighters work a 48/96 schedule
All firefighters represented by the International Association of Firefighters (IAFF) Douglas County Professional Firefighters Local 2091.
Department Overview: Formed in 1952, Douglas County Fire District No.2 serves a predominantly urban and rural area of Douglas County in Southern Oregon. The District service area includes the communities of Dixonville, Green, Melrose, Winchester, Wilbur, Garden Valley, Umpqua, Calapooia; and unincorporated areas of the city of Roseburg.
The District protects over 37,000 citizens within its 95 square mile area from its seven strategically located fire stations throughout the District. The District provides fire protection, ALS medical transport, and technical rescue. Current staffing consists of 39 career firefighter/paramedics, 7 administrative staff, 2 fleet mechanics, and 20-30 volunteers.
High School Grad/GED: Yes
Valid OREGON State Driver’s License: Class C driver’s license or other state equivalent, and a driving record that meets Douglas County Fire District No. 2 standards.
- NFPA Firefighter 1 or equivalent
- Oregon Paramedic License, or National Registry certification as a Paramedic and the ability to qualify for State of Oregon reciprocity, or possession of EMT-P from another state and be able to qualify for State of Oregon reciprocity.
- Current EMT-P students are eligible to test but must be licensed by time of appointment.
- For non-Oregon certification – the Oregon State Health Authority determines equivalencies; you can contact them at 971-673-1222. Please start this process as soon as possible.
- Paid or volunteer fire suppression and/or ambulance experience
- Associates Degree in Fire Science
- NFPA Pump Operator
How to Apply:
Applications will only be accepted in person, via regular mail, or electronically via email; faxed applications will be rejected without notification.
Application and Veteran’s form can be found online at www.dcfd.org under the job openings link or can be picked up in person at 1400 Buckhorn Rd. Roseburg Oregon. Applications will not be mailed.
Submit a completed application packet by June 2, 2017 at 4:00 pm (PST), and include only the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Completed and Signed Application
- Veterans Preference Form and DD-214/DD-215 if applicable (Veteran’s Only)
- Copy of Oregon Driver’s License or equivalent
- Copy of NFPA Firefighter 1 or equivalent
- Copy of Oregon EMT-P License
(EMT-P students please submit proof of current enrollment in an EMT-P program)
Send electronic application packets to email@example.com
All documents sent via email must be in PDF format. Word documents will not be accepted. Emailed application packets will receive a confirmation reply.
Hard copy application packets may be mailed or delivered to:
Douglas County Fire District No. 2
Attn: Chief Examiner
1400 Buckhorn Rd.
Roseburg, OR 97470
Candidates must also:
- Complete the FireTEAM examination administered by National Testing Network (NTN) no later than June 2, 2017. www.nationaltestingnetwork.com
- Submit documentation of successful CPAT testing,dated within 6 months of the original May 5, 2017 closing date or up until the extended date of June 2, 2017.
- Job application and all documentation required
- FireTEAM examination and CPAT test from NTN
- Assessment Center consisting of Firefighter and/or Paramedic Skills
- Interview Panel
- Chief’s Interview
- Extensive Background Check
- Physical Exam and Drug Testing
- Upon job offer candidate will also be required to pass the Fire District’s current physical agility test
NTN’s score will account for 20% of the candidates overall score and the Assessment Center/Oral Interview will account for 80% of the candidates overall score. Upon completion of the Assessment Center/Oral Interview, the combined scoring of NTN’s score and the Assessment Center/Oral Interview will be tabulated. Candidates must pass both the Assessment Center and Oral Interview with a minimum score of 70%.
Any candidates wanting to be considered for the Lateral Entry Firefighter/Paramedic classification must have a current Oregon certification of EMT Paramedic at time of appointment. A minimum of three years current continuous employment experience as a fulltime career firefighter in a union fire department (volunteer, sleeper/resident, paid on-call or seasonal will not apply toward this requirement).
Active volunteers for Douglas County Fire District No. 2 that have been active for at least one (1) year shall be accorded five (5) preference points.
Veterans, as defined by Oregon Law, who have successfully completed all phases of the entire examination, shall be accorded (5) preference points or (10) preference points to a disabled veteran in accordance with ORS 408.230.
If you qualify for veteran’s preference points you must complete and submit, with all required documentation, the veteran’s preference points form with your application by the June 2, 2017 deadline.
A total combined maximum of ten (10) preference points for veterans and/or volunteer time will be added to a candidate’s final overall score after completing and passing all phases of the testing process.
Assessment Center and Interview:
The top applicants meeting minimum qualifications who submitted a complete application packet will be scheduled for further testing and an interview. Currently, the assessment center and interviews are tentatively scheduled for June 29-30, 2017; however these dates may be adjusted. Updated information will be communicated to candidates via e-mail.
Felony, Criminal, Activity Disqualifiers
As per State of Oregon DHS and DPSST regulations
Has to be insurable by the Fire District and pass background check
Drug Use Disqualifier
Must pass drug testing
Employment & Financial Disqualifier
Pass a background check
Point of Contact:
Captain Scott Richardson
Click Here for Job Information
Click Here for Job Application
Click Here for Veteran’s Preference Form
Completed application packets may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org