Structure Fire Damages Wilbur Home

img_5162-1A Wilbur family has something to be very thankful about this holiday season.  Larry and Wonda Cotter woke to the sounds of a smoke alarm early Tuesday morning.  Upon investigation they found their home to be filled with smoke and a small fire was burning in the kitchen.  Larry extinguished the fire with the kitchen spray nozzle and removed the smoldering debris outside as the fire department responded.  The Cotter’s were especially thankful as they had their grandchildren spending the night with them.

Fire District No. 2 responded to the incident with three fire engines a water tender and two command vehicles.  Fire personnel arrived eight minutes after receiving the alarm to find the home filled with light smoke.  Firefighters were able to determine that the fire was out and had not spread beyond the interior finishes.  There were no injuries as a result of the fire.

The fire started in the area where Christmas lights wrapped in garland was located.  The fire appeared to have spread from the lights to some light-weight curtains over a sliding glass door.img_5161-1 The fire then spread to a table, chair, and flooring before being extinguished.  Fire District No. 2 investigators will conduct a follow up investigation Tuesday.  There was an estimated $10,000.00 damage to the home and contents.

Battalion Chief Roger Johnson said, “This is another example of a working smoke alarm saving the lives of a family. img_5159-1 The fire was spreading, and had plenty of fuel to burn” .  Fire District No. 2 officials recommend that everyone test their smoke alarms this time of year.  There are a lot of additional risks of fire this time of year.  The use of candles and natural trees in the home adds increased risk.  Cold weather also results in more structure fires due to heating appliances and space heaters placed too close to combustibles.